Tuesday, January 27, 2015

REVIEW: Triangles by: Kimberly Ann Miller

Title: Triangles

Author: Kimberly Ann Miller

Series: Bermuda Triangle (#1)

Publisher: Spencer Hill Press

Release Date: June 18, 2013




Synopsis:

A cruise ship. A beautiful island. Two sexy guys. What could possibly go wrong?

In the Bermuda Triangle-a lot.

Hoping to leave behind the reminders of her crappy life- her father's death years ago, her mother's medical problems, and the loser who's practically stalking her- seventeen-year old Autumn Taylor hops on a ship with her sister for a little distraction. When she wakes up in the Bermuda Triangle she fears shes gone nuts for more than one reason: that losers suddenly claiming they're a happy couple...a hot guy is wrapping his arms around her saying Happy Anniversary...and suddenly she's full of bruises, losing her hair, and getting IV medication. Autumn visits the ship doctor, hoping for a pill or a shot to make the craziness go away. Instead shes warned that these alternate realities could become permanent. She just has to ask herself one question- how the hell is she going to get out of this mess?  

Review:

I wasn't sure what to expect with Triangles because I checked out a few other reviews on Goodreads about it before reading the book. I noticed it was like most other books, split down the middle, some loved it and some did not. But what got me was some of the negative things the people who didn't like it were saying. I went ahead and gave the book a shot. I personally thought that the author, Kimberly Ann Miller did a great job at writing Triangles. While Autumn might not have been the most enjoyable character I didn't find the story lacking.

The book is about a ''mean girl'' named Autumn Taylor who is going on a vacation cruise with her older sister, Jessica. It turns out that Joey, a guy that Autumn works with, is also going on the same cruise with his grandparents. Joey has had a huge crush on Autumn since she started working at the same auto repair shop as him about six months ago. He follows her around like a lost puppy and is always leaving her little gifts which really annoys her. She is constantly trying to avoid him. While on the cruise she meets a guy named Marcus and just to be mean to Joey, flaunts Marcus in front of him. Some crazy things start happening to Autumn when the enter the Bermuda Triangle and each day is a different alternate reality for her. She begins to realize just how messed up and wrong she has been, and starts to except things that she can't change. 

I found Triangles unique because it was about a ''mean girl". A lot of books are about girls that constantly have to deal with a girl who for some reason or another is mean and vindictive. I thought this was a good change of pace.

This book had my emotions all over the place. I was angry, happy, sad, and I even teared up a little. At the beginning and through a good bit of the book I found it really hard to like Autumn. I wanted to slap her silly for the way that she treated Joey. Most girls would die to have a guy treat them the way Joey treated her. He worshiped the ground she walked on, but all she kept doing was mocking him and saying rude and mean things to him. I kept screaming in my head for him just to give up on her and find someone that truly deserved him.

Jessica was the ideal older sister and Autumn was constantly picking fights and being mean to her also. I mean come on she didn't have to step up and take over guardianship of Autumn, she didn't have to put her life on pause like that. I get that life had dealt Autumn a pretty crappy hand, but it was almost the exact same hand that Jessica had been dealt, but she wasn't running around with an ''I hate the world'' type of attitude.

Joey was the most sweetest guy I've read about in a long time. He was polite, honest, caring, and fiercely loyal. The best way to describe him would be: a true old time type gentleman. I felt so sorry for him with all the stuff he had to put up with. I would honestly say I think he was my favorite character in the whole book.

From the moment that Marcus was introduced to us I could tell that he was not good news. His personality dripped with the stench of being a player. He was shallow, self centered, and materialistic. He was also very mean to Joey. 

This was the first book I've read about the Bermuda Triangle and also the first for alternate realities. It was definitely different from what I usually read but I enjoyed it none the less. I would recommend this to anyone who has a thing for sci-fi/paranormal types of books, and teens and adults alike.  

(c) 2015 Andrea Hatfield All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me comments, I love reading them. I try to respond to all comments within the same day, but it may take me a day to respond. I do comment back and enjoy the conversations.