Tuesday, January 13, 2015

REVIEW: Obsidian by: Jennifer L. Armentrout Book one in the Lux Series

Title: Obsidian

Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout

Published: November  2011

Publisher: Entangled Teen







Synopsis:

Starting over sucks.


 When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.


And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.









Review: 


Ok I absolutely loved Obsidian! Jennifer Armentrout was able to catch my attention from the very beginning.You don't need to be a sci-fi fan to enjoy it.This is one of those books that the moment you start reading you're unable to put it down and usually end up devouring the whole thing in one sitting. You have to find out what is going to happen next, so you keep reading until you're finished and your eyes are too heavy to stay open and you realize it's 4 am. The story itself is outstanding. All the dynamics of a great story are pack into this book. There are sizzling characters, the chemistry between the characters is mind blowing, drama, action, romance, and the banter between Katy and Daemon is absolutely hilarious. It's a thrilling ride from start to finish and will leave you emotionally exhausted but it's so worth it.

Being a fellow West Virginian I was very impressed with Armentrout's depiction of WV and the fact that she focused on a lot of the positives and the beauty of our state and didn't turn this into a bashing of the West Virginian populace.

Katy Swartz is the main character and the narrator of the story. I was immediately able to connect with Katy and her love for books. She came off as a person who is sensitive, fiercely loyal, independent, completely stubborn and hardheaded, snarky and of course she's a total book nerd like me. Plus she kind of has this take no crap from anyone type of attitude. She is real quick to call Daemon out. She tries hard to be herself but to also follow her mother's advice: make an effort.

Daemon is the holy trinity of hot boys: Beautiful face, Beautiful body, Horrible attitude. From the first moment we meet him, Daemon projects an air of arrogance, an ego the size of Alaska, a conceited attitude, and as Katy would put it is a "douche canoe". He has a way of ruffling her feathers and getting under Katy's skin and the readers. And he is way too over protective of his sister but you soon discover he has his reasons. 

Daemon's equally beautiful sister's name is Dee. She has a very sweet, bubbly, and hyper personality. Her and Katy become friends instantly, like best friends. Daemon doesn't want Katy and Dee being friends the least little bit.

Katy moves to West Virginia with her mom to get a new start 3 years after the passing of her father from cancer. Her mother has turned into a workaholic as a way to deal with the loss, so Katy pretty much stays at home alone. She ends up living next door to an incredibly hot Daemon Black and his equally beautiful twin sister Dee. Katy and Dee click from the moment they meet but from the moment that Katy and Daemon meet he is an absolute douche to her. Sometimes it almost seems like he is going out of his way to be a jerk. But as the story progresses we learn that he is only trying to protect his family. Katy, when she's not about to strangle Daemon, can't get over how gorgeous he is. And in the moments that Daemon is not being a douche, sparks fly, like blow up a laptop kind of sparks, between the two of them. Dee finds a unique way of getting Daemon to spend time with Katy so he can get to know her better, she hides his car keys. Daemon ends up having to save Katy's life and ultimately reveals his huge secret. Daemon and Dee Black are both aliens. Katy seems to be fine with the fact that her best friend is an alien but Daemon and the other aliens are worried that she will cause them a whole bunch of trouble and expose them. 


I would definitely suggest to anyone that they go out and get a copy of Obsidian today, head to the bookstore, audio store, Amazon, B&N or your local library right now. I mean like Right Now! I don't think you will be disappointed. I know I wasn't.


(c) 2015 Andrea Hatfield All Rights Reserved 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me comments, I love reading them. I try to respond to all comments within the same day, but it may take me a day to respond. I do comment back and enjoy the conversations.